Devnology Podcast 015 - Jurgen Appelo
In this episode an interview with Jurgen Appelo, where we discuss topics from his book Management 3.0. We talk about complex systems thinking, and why it is relevant for software development, and we discuss the role of management in organisations with self-organising teams.
On twitter he is @JurgenAppelo
Links for this podcast:
- Jurgen Appelo: Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders. Addison-Wesley, Mike Cohn Signature Series, 2011
- http://www.management30.com Management 3.0, the accompanying website
- In one of Jurgen's presentations you get some background on Complexity thinking and the Body of Knowledge of Systems.
- A book on the Rhineland model, a management style mentioned in the Podcast: The Rhineland Way by Matthieu Weggeman and Jaap Peters. On their website you find an article on this subject, in Dutch: Het Rijnlands model als inspiratiebron.
- the Two-Factor theory (wikipedia) states that there is a difference between factors that motivate people and de-motivate them, independently of each other.
- A nice little background movie on motivation and rewarding people: The surprising truth about what motivates us (youtube).
- Agile principles, Lean principles, Scrum values, XP values (wikipedia). On Jurgen's blog you find the The Do-It-Yourself Team Values Kit, which is mentioned in the Podcast.
- The 360 degree feedback (wikipedia) was applied by Jurgen in a dinner with his team, described on his blog: the 360 Degrees Dinner.
- Self-organizing systems competing for the same resources: the Tragedy of the Commons (wikipedia).
- Six years later: What the Agile Manifesto left out, a blogpost by Brian Marick.
- The land that Scrum forgot, a blogpost by Robert C. Martin.
- You can read an excerpt, the chapter 'How to Grow structure', of the book Management 3.0 online.
- On Jurgen's blog you find a lot of articles that cover the subject of his book, like Management 3.0: The Era of Complexity, Cross-Functional Teams Don't Come Free and Diversity? You Mean Connectivity!.
- Jurgens list of Best Used Books.
This podcast is in English - Deze podcast is in het Engels
This podcast was published on 07-02-2011 and lasts for 01:02:49 minutes